Looking for some creative writing prompts for your class? I have been frequenting this lovely website every time I am in need of a unique and “out of the box” topic! There are over 300 prompts to choose from ranging from serious to poetic to silly.
Some that I particularly like include:
- Write a fictional scary encounter with your hairdresser/ barber.
- Write from the point of view of a stack of paper a few inches from a shredder.
- Weave a story around this mixed proverb: “Silence is a great healer.”
- Choose a poem that you like. Take the last line and use that as the first line of your own poem.
- It was Herman Melville who said, “We become sad in the first place because we have nothing stirring to do.” Write about what stirs you.
- Write in the voice of a “rope about to snap”.
It is always refreshing to do a little creative writing after a long day of intense vocabulary and grammar!